Advertisement for 'De Witt's Kidney and Bladder Pills'
Window display, 1920
De Witt's Kidney and Bladder Pills were produced by a firm
founded in 1912 by EC De Witt, with branches at 160-162 Superior
Street, Chicago and in New York. It became part of the CB Fleet
Group in 1990, whose UK operation is currently based in Runcorn,
Cheshire where they still manufacture toiletries, skin care
products and pharmaceutical products. Some of their other popular
medicines manufactured at the time were 'DeWitt's Cough Syrup
Bottle', 'DeWitt's Headache Tablets', 'DeWitt's Rheumatic Pills'
and 'Dewitt's Man-Zan' for haemorrhoids.
The card would most likely have hung in a shop window, on a wall,
or been placed with a display of the product. It is printed in
black and pale blue on white card showing a rather pained looking
Mr A Sparrow (of Tonypandy, Wales) who had been suffering from
bladder calculi (or stones) but claimed to have passed one a
mere two days after taking DeWitt's pills.